Sunday 5 January 2020

A Night at the Theatre

Does it sparkle without sparkling? Can it shine without wine?

Gosh, how many times in the past have I been to see a show and drunk one, two or one-too-many glasses of cheap (yet overpriced) wine or bubbly? I've joked about needing the alcohol to get through a godawful production, to numb myself from the boredom or the bad acting or the ridiculousness.

And then there are the shows that I've loved, or at least mostly liked. Well, I used to drink at those too. If not before or at interval, then afterwards while chatting with friends, sharing my opinions with varying degrees of tact (and volume!)

I love the theatre. Straight plays, musicals, drama, comedy - the lot. There's nothing much I enjoy more than being moved to laughter or tears by a live performance, a brilliant script or a breathtaking song. To sit in the dark and be transported, to feel moved and changed by the shared experience. Smiling until my face hurts. It's all so wonderfully life affirming!

Which is why, from now on, I don't want a single drop of alcohol to skew my perception. If a show is good, then I want to feel clear and open to receive and remember it. I want to walk out feeling completely alive.

And if it's average, or boring, or terrible, or simply not my taste? Well, that's all part of the wonderful pot-luck that is live theatre! I want to appreciate the good and not let alcohol turn me into a bitch who only focuses on the negative. Or offends people when the few inhibitions I have have been lowered or vanished completely!

This evening I went to the opening night of a big professional musical. A colourful, modern family favourite - a kids' show, really. I saw a production of it a few years ago and really enjoyed it, so was keen to go when a friend offered me a free ticket for this one, tonight.

It goes without saying that the most important thing about the evening was that I didn't drink any alcohol! Seven days into my new AF life, I wasn't going to let the false glamour of the theatre bar entice me.

Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the show as much as I'd hoped to. There were good elements, for sure, but overall I was glad I hadn't paid for the ticket!

With a sober, clear mind, I could see it for what it was - a fun show for kids - and remember what made the previous production I saw so great, but I know it'll never be on my list of favourite musicals.

And even more importantly, I'm so very glad to have called curtains on my drinking career!

Betty
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

One Year Ago

On this day last year, I enrolled in Kate Bee's 'Getting Unstuck' course, which she offers via her website The Sober School (  h...