Monday 6 January 2020

One Year Ago

On this day last year, I enrolled in Kate Bee's 'Getting Unstuck' course, which she offers via her website The Sober School ( https://thesoberschool.com/ ). Six-weeks of no drinking, accompanied by daily 'lessons' - videos and other informative and inspirational content to help you break away from the grip alcohol has on your life.

I'd already stopped drinking, just before New Year, so I had a bit of a head start before the official Day 1 of the course.

(I want to point out, before I go any further, that my failure to remain alcohol free after the course has nothing to do with the quality of what Kate has created. The videos and articles are really excellent and I know that there are many course graduates who have happily put alcohol behind them for good. I take full responsibility for my failure (for the umpteenth time!) to stay away from drinking alcohol.)

To be honest, I was rather cocky. The beginning of an AF stint is never a problem for me. Once I've made my commitment, I'm usually blinkered by determination and am riding my high horse atop pink clouds for at least a couple of months. The fact that I'd paid a substantial amount of money to enrol in the course meant that I was serious in my commitment. I really hoped to find the missing piece that would magically make me NOT START to drink again.

But I didn't always keep up with the lessons and the activities. I felt like I'd 'been there, done that' with a lot of the content. (I've quit drinking so many times over the last 15 years, and I've done a LOT of googling and reading about alcohol and addiction.)

I could see lots of women were communicating regularly in the comments sections, but I never kept up with it, due to work and other commitments letting me get behind. And also because, like I said before, I was feeling good and like I didn't really need the support at that time. I was arrogant in my absence from the comment section, now that I think about it. I definitely didn't take it as seriously as I could have.

When the six weeks were up, I was still going strong. And the course was over. I hadn't really made any connections with anyone, so I didn't have any outside support later, when I ended up thinking of  - and actually - drinking again.

Anyway, the reason I mention this course is because, if I'd properly followed its advice (and actually DONE the activities, such as building a sober toolkit), then I would have been alcohol free for over a year today! I'm not going to beat myself up for my failure to stick to the original goal. All I will say is that right now, I am absolutely determined to be celebrating a full year sober in just under 365 days time.

Congratulations and a huge shout out to the ladies who did that same Getting Unstuck course with me in January 2019. Some of you are riding high on your achievement of a sober life a full year later, and I have nothing but respect and admiration for you.

And thank you for your amazing work, Kate Bee. You're truly an inspiration! I'm going to be dropping back into the course content over the next few weeks, doing some activities, re-reading and re-watching.

I've just finished Day 8. I know that this initial AF confidence may fade, and that Moderation Mary could rear her ugly head at any moment. If today's reflection on the last 365 days has taught me anything, it's that I need to be better prepared for when this DOES happen. Having access to the course content, even a whole year later, is so very much appreciated.

Betty
x


No comments:

Post a Comment

One Year Ago

On this day last year, I enrolled in Kate Bee's 'Getting Unstuck' course, which she offers via her website The Sober School (  h...